Friday, September 9, 2016

ROOM TO GROW



Today in Art class we are continuing to work on our final still-life drawings. Students are working hard to closely observe detail, and to make their drawings as accurate as possible. Some of us feel pretty confident in our drawing ability, and some of us feel like we can't draw at all. However, ALL of us have room to grow. What can we do to improve? Are there any areas of the drawing that should be changed to look more like the still life? 

First, we watched this Youtube video about a very young artist in the first grade who was able to drastically improve his drawing of a butterfly: 
His friends respectfully found areas of his drawing that could be improved and they helped him by telling him specific things to change. This student had the "Growth Mindset," he was willing to examine his artwork, humbly admit that he could improve it, make changes, and not give up. Throughout this process of editing his drawing, his skills improved drastically and he wound up with an exceptional work of art! 

Each student was given a Post-It note to write down a "Glow" and a "Grow" about a friend's drawing. They wrote specific ways the drawing was successful as well as ways the drawing could be improved. 
 

Today's Objectives:
  • I can practice the "Growth Mindset," looking for specific ways to improve my drawing. 
  • I can respectfully participate in a critique. 
  • I can draw slowly, quietly, observing detail, and correcting my mistakes. I can look more at the still life than my paper. 
  • I can fill the space with the design, drawing BIG.