Monday, May 9, 2016

THINKING LIKE AN ARTIST; May 9 - 20, 2016

Friday, May 20, 2016
After taking their semester exam, 6th graders wrote a reflection about their time in Art class. I asked them to write about their most successful projects as well as ones that didn't turn out so well. We talked about the "Growth vs. Fixed Mindset," and how when we mess up we can learn from our mistakes. I also asked them to tell me how I can make the class better for the 6th graders next year. Most of the kids thought all the projects were great! There were 2 projects that a few kids thought I need to do differently next year, the yarn project (too hard!) and the Imaginary Creature Landscape. Some kids thought it was a little too "cartoony" and would have preferred to learn how to draw more realistically. Below are a few statements made by the 6th graders:
"My favorite project was when we were painting the realistic flowers because that showed me that I do know how to paint things. All the other times I've tried to paint things that turned out horrible. I never believed in myself, but this project showed me that I can."
  "Well, what made my least favorite project unsuccessful is when I had to do all that thinking. Also I messed up on the drawing a lot it was hard at the times when we had to do those mountains."
 "What I loved about art class is that I had fun while learning."
"This class is just right you're a great teacher I've learned lots of things and there's nothing you really need to improve."
"I loved that all of our activities were creative and hands on. I also loved the way Mrs. Nichols pushed us to do our best and taught us just how well she could."
"My best project was successful because I tried and listened. Mrs. Nichols made me feel like I was a good drawer when I knew I wasn't. What made my worst project unsuccessful was not trying and giving up on myself because I thought it looked horrible. What I loved about art class was Mrs. Nichols was very sweet and kind. She also helped me with making my art better when I started to give up."
 "The things I loved about art was learning actually how to draw/paint things very well and also learning new things about art that I never knew."
"I loved the teacher and how much details she used."
 "My best project was successful because I put a lot of effort into it. My worst project was unsuccessful because I kept getting distracted.... I love the way you really opened doors behind art. You encourage students to do their best and help us to realize our true abilities."
"One thing I like about art is that it's fun. Another thing I like about art is that it taught me things I didn't know I could do and made me believe in myself."
"I loved that I learned new things and also I liked getting to discover new things in art. I don't think Mrs. Nichols needs to improve nothing it is a great class to take."
"I loved the painting, the art work, and teaching us how to paint and other art skills. I also love your walls, you also helped all your students."
 "My favorite project was paper mache it was the most creative one. My least favorite was linear perspective because it was boring. My best favorite is paper mache I believed in myself and it was fun. My worst paper was water color I played too much and did not try I'm sorry. You encourage us and when we are doing badly you make us better. There is nothing wrong with what we did this year."
 "Mrs. Nichols is very nice and just helps you understand. If I rated Mrs. Nichols' 1-10 it will be 10!"
"My favorite project was the mask because it was fun making it. My least favorite was the creature because it didn't turn out good because I was distracted. Rate Mrs. Nichols' class: 5 Stars! I love the art. I love the painting."
"My favorite project was making our dream room (linear perspective). The reason I loved it was because I can express my feelings. Drawing makes me feel relaxed and confident. What made my best project is my effort and I set my mind on it and stayed focused. The worst project was making my own creature it was terrible everything was not in order I did not know what I was doing. What I love about Mrs. Nichols' class: she never gives up, she is hard on her work, she's a fun teacher."
"I liked the mask project the most. The reason was because I got to make an anime character mask. My least favorite is the creature out of shapes. I would of liked to draw a realistic creature instead of one out of shapes. (Why my best project turned out well was because) well I was really engaged and worked hard on it. My least favorite project (didn't turn out well because) I was really not even trying, to be honest. Well, I loved how we could express ourselves and it was nice to have a good teacher."
"My favorite project was printmaking because I made a cool design. The yarn was the worst because the yarn never stayed still. (My most successful project turned out well because) I paid very close attention to detail. (My least successful project did not turn out well because) I just didn't like the materials. Things that I love about Mrs. Nichols' class: everything and I love the projects... you shouldn't change anything it was perfect."
 "I love everything about Art class. You shouldn't do anything but keep the same thing you are doing because all of it is fun."

Thursday, May 19, 2016
All students continue to work hard on their goals. 7th and 8th grade artists are thinking about how to improve their designs on paintings, drawings, and cardboard constructions. 6th graders are working to finish up their paper mache masks. Here are some terrific examples: 



Wednesday, May 18, 2016
7th and 8th grade students discussed the idea of the "fixed" vs. the "growth" mindset and viewed a video clip of the artist Chuck Close. For the rest of class, they continued to work toward their individual goals for their final art projects. 


  Tuesday, May 17, 2016 (Day 5 of Open Studio)

7th and 8th grade students discussed the rubric for their Open Studio project and jotted down some reflective notes about the effort they have made so far. They were asked, "What have you experimented with so far? Materials? Techniques? Did you try anything new? What is one thing you feel is very successful about your efforts? What is one thing that could use some more work or more information?

There were a lot of different themes witnessed in Art class today...some students made cardboard constructions of buildings, military vehicles, and there was even a replica of "Thor's Hammer" spotted! Landscapes, imaginary creatures, baseball fields, fish, and even galaxies, are just a few of the ideas being explored with paint and drawing media. 


Below are a few photos of today's accomplishments (in-progress) as well as the rubric:





6th grade students began applying colored tissue paper bits to the surface of their paper mache masks. Using the glue/water mixture, students carefully "painted" the thin paper onto the mask. They were asked to repeat colors for a nice design. Below is a quick review and a few photos of student work (in-progress):
                    






Wednesday, Thursday, & Monday; May 11, 12, 16, 2016
Days 2, 3, 4 of "Open Studio" for 7th/8th grades
Objectives; Grades 7/8:

I can "think like an artist" by:
  • Gathering the materials I need for my project.
  • Concentrating my effort and attention toward reaching my goal in Art class.
  • Creating artwork based on a theme.
  • Taking care of materials.
  • Putting all materials away in the proper place. 
 To the left is a picture of an 8th grade artist working out her design on canvas board. At first, her plan was to paint a well known character, but she changed her mind after realizing that the assignment was to come up with an original idea. So, she invented a brand new character, "Venomus!" She is using her smart phone to research snake scales for the character's skin.


In this photograph an 8th grade student is working out images, colors, and techniques with oil pastels in her plan for a comic strip - I can't wait to see the finished piece!

These 8th graders are using their smart phones to find images related to their chosen theme, "vehicles:"




Objectives; Grade 6:
I can add the first layers of paper mache to my mask, keeping it smooth and wrinkle free as well as taking care to wrap all the edges. 

                                  To the right is a quick review on Youtube:
which side looks better to you?
  



To the left is a picture of a mask that is covered with paper mache - one half has been done correctly and the other half is sloppy. This sloppy look might be okay if you are trying to make a mummy or a zombie, but otherwise make sure you smooth out your paper mache, get as many wrinkles out as you can, and wrap your edges!


Step 1: Finish taping your mask and cutting out the eye holes. Make sure you use scissors and tape at a "dry table," not near the glue/water mixture. Scissors will rust if they get wet and tape will ruin.
Step 2: Go to a "wet table" and dip your newsprint paper into the glue/water mixture. 
Step 3. Use two fingers to wipe off the excess liquid so that it is not dripping wet when you apply it.
Step 4: Apply the paper mache smoothly, with as few wrinkles as possible. There should be no "air in there!" 
Step 5: Wrap each edge of your mask neatly. Don't place the newsprint next to an edge because it will split apart later on. 
Step 6: Wrap the eye holes, too. You only need to do this one time. When you put the layer of paper mache on the back of your mask, just lay it next to the eye area. 
Step 7: Lay the wet mask carefully onto the plastic support. Leave it exactly in the position you want it so that it dries well! You don't want it to dry twisted, bent, and crooked. 
Step 8: Clean up!

Below are a few 6th grade paper mache masks from today - most of the kids had time to apply the second layer of paper mache
 







Tuesday, May 10, 2016
7th and 8th graders had their first "Open Studio" day in the art classroom. They began their final projects, choosing all kinds of art media to experiment with: oil pastels, cardboard, drawing pencils, colored pencils, and other materials. I am excited to see what kinds of art pieces begin to emerge from all this activity! 

 Objectives for Grades 7/8:
I can "think like an artist" by:
  • Setting a goal for myself - what do I want to accomplish in the next 2 weeks? (Examples - improve art skills, experiment more, be more persistent, have a successful piece, etc.)
  • Gathering materials for my project.
  • Persisting through problems and not giving up - problem solving.
  • Taking care of the materials.
  • Putting the materials away.   


Objectives for Grade 6:  
I can construct an armature (support) for my paper mache mask. I can use all tools and supplies safely and appropriately. 

Remember, there are lots of choices when designing your mask, and if it doesn't turn out exactly the way you planned, that's okay! Everyone's mask will look different. 
 Here is a quick review:

Step 1: Choose one of your 6 mask designs and draw a line vertically through the middle, dividing it into two symmetrical halves.
Step 2: Fold your poster board in half and draw half of the mask design. When you cut it out, leave it folded and you should end up with a symmetrical mask. If not, try again! Artists learn from their mistakes! If you mess up, it's okay. Just keep trying. We've got plenty of poster board!
Step 3: Fold the mask in half again and draw one eye. Pinch a fold across the middle of the eye shape and use scissors to carefully cut out the shape of the eye. Make sure the eye hole is big enough for your fingers to fit through! 
Step 4: Fold the mask in half and trace the eye hole. This tells you exactly where to place the second eye. Follow Step 3 again. 
Step 5: Cut a "V" shaped notch (a tall, skinny V, not a short, fat V) out of the forehead area and the chin area
Step 6: Overlap the resulting flaps to create a 3-D effect - add tape to the front and back to secure it. Now you have a sculpture! It has height, width, and depth, not just height and width.
Step 7: To add an egg crate nose, use 4 pieces of tape. To make a nose with flaps, just cut the chin notch a bit longer and add another horizontal cut. It will look just like a "T." Overlap, and voila! You have a nose! 
Step 8: Finish the mask armature with other additions if you wish, such as horns, bulging cheeks, etc. 
Tomorrow we will begin paper mache!       
6th grade poster board mask armatures



photo credit: pinterest.com

Monday, May 9, 2016

Today in Art class, 7th and 8th grade students practiced "Thinking Like An Artist." They discussed the meaning of the word, "theme," and began brainstorming potential ideas for their final projects. (Artists think of ideas!) Every student chose his or her own theme and then attempted several thumbnail sketches in planning for the final piece.
Themes are very broad categories, not specific. Students were asked to think of 5 specific subjects related to a general theme. Examples of general, broad themes would be "Beauty, Happiness, Fear, Entertainment, Nature, etc." More specific examples of the theme of "Nature" would be bugs, flowers, trees, etc. Would houses, cars, games, and weapons fit in the theme of "Nature?" Of course not - these are all man-made things. What would fit under the theme of "Happiness?" It would be different for different people! What makes one person happy might make another person miserable - art is a subjective thing! One artist might paint a sunny landscape, full of flowers and trees, to represent happiness. Another might build a cardboard sculpture of a grinning face, and still another artist may decide to communicate happiness with pure colors, textures, and shapes in a lovely composition based on Formalism. What is your theme and how will you make it into an art piece?
 
Objectives:
Grade 6: I can complete the listening guide during the video, "Masks From Many Cultures." I can draw ideas for 6 different mask designs. 
 Here is a short clip from the video we watched in class today:


Grades 7/8: (Come up with a plan for your final project. This will count as your grade for your semester exam.)
I can "think like an artist" by deciding on a general theme and then listing 5 ideas related to that theme that could potentially be made into a work of art.
I can draw at least 3 of these ideas in my sketchbook.